28.1.10

The Car That Started It All


I came across this picture of my Dad's 1969 Ford Mustang while going through some old family photo albums the other day. It reminded me that this car is responsible for my love of driving and almost all things car-related. Even little kids can spot a good car when they see it. When I owned my MINI Cooper, I would often see children smiling and pointing at my car from passing SUVs and Minivans. Once, in the parking lot of a grocery store, a little boy excitedly yelled out, "look Daddy, it's a MINI Cooper!"

For me, it was my Dad's Mustang that captured my attention. While it wasn't particularly fast or remarkable spec-wise, it fascinated me. I always hoped I would get to drive it one day, but he sold it when we moved from Utah to Virginia in 1993 - 5 years before I would get my license. A Mustang is still on my list of cars to own before I die and the recent resurgence of the Mustang makes me want one even more. So who knows? The 2011 Mustang is pretty tempting...

On a side note, my uncle's Chevrolet ('49 or '50 Styleline?) pictured above on a better day, suffered this horrible death at the hands of the San Diego wildfires in October 2007:

No comments: