9.3.10

To Be Young, Rich, and Stupid

If there's one thing that hasn't changed about Hollywood over the years, its an over abundance of young, rich, narcissistic tools with too much time and money on their hands. I've been there twice and concluded its the douchebag capital of the World. It's especially frustrating when I see a guy who has an amazing car but he doesn't really appreciate it because he just bought it for the image. Yes, I know! I'm totally jealous. I try not to be a hater but its just so hard.

So you might imagine that when I came across these videos on A Time To Get, I would be outraged by this footage from the 1960s of these young kids driving Ferrari GTOs, acting like total asses. But even though I would roll my eyes in disgust if this happened today, I absolutely loved these videos! Maybe its the cars themselves or the nostalgia. Yes, but it was also a simpler time; back when car culture was a still a significant and more accepted part of life in America. Now that I own an older car, I can honestly say they don't make 'em like they used to. Yes, today's cars are far more safe and reliable but many of the charms that made Americans to fall head over heels in love with the automobile are gone. The driving experience is far to sterile in the vast majority of modern cars.

So enjoy these videos! And when you see an old car for sale you always wanted but never had the chance to own, don't resist the temptation. Buy it. It might give you a few headaches but on a beautiful sunny day or a warm summer night cruising down the road with the windows down, the wind blowing through your hair and the sound of the engine rumbling in your ears, you'll feel more alive than you have in years - And at that moment fall in love with cars all over again.

No comments: