6.5.10

The World of Ratfink

The colorful and crazy Ed "Big Daddy" Roth was a legend of the 1950s hot rod car culture in Southern California. Although his heyday was WAY before my time, I found a copy of his autobiography in an outlet bookstore when I was a kid and was fascinated by his story (not the least of which was his conversion to Mormonism and subsequent move to Utah where his wife still lives). While his cars and artwork aren't to my tastes, his creativity and contribution to car culture is inspiring. I came across his book recently while I was moving and I rediscovered it at a perfect time - as I have begun to consider ways I can pursue my passion.

Roth's family runs a museum in Manti, UT and has an annual Rat Fink Reunion celebrating his life. Definitely something to check out while next time I'm in Utah. For all things Ed "Big Daddy" Roth, visit the official site.

Some images scanned from his book, Confessions of a Ratfink: The Life and Times of Ed "Big Daddy" Roth...





A perfect description of the "Garden" State:

No comments: