26.2.10

DC Motoring Classifieds: 1992 Volvo 240

I'm selling my Volvo because I'm in the process of buying yet another car and I don't need three cars. So I placed an ad on Craigslist this morning and felt the desire to really sell it. Here's the result (I know, I have way too much time on my hands):


1992 Volvo 240 - 100% Swedish AWESOMENESS! - $1599 (Arlington)

I've always been amused by car ads that start out, "What we have here is..." So with that being said...

What we have here is a 1992 Volvo 240 in very good condition. For those of you looking at this ad because you want to buy a 240, I probably don't have to tell you how totally rad these cars are so I'll give you the details up front. For those of you just looking for a nice, reliable cheap car, stick around and I'll tell you why the Volvo 240 is the perfect beater for you.

So here's what you need to know:

- I purchased it in November 2009 as a second car for the winter. The guy I purchased it from bought it from his father who purchased it new so it was in the same family until I bought it.

- The car has 168,XXX miles, which for a 240 is just getting started, considering they've been known to easily go 3 or 400 thousand.

- The exterior is silver with a blue cloth interior.

- A couple weeks after I purchased it, it had a tune up (including new spark plugs, wires, and a new distributor cap) and the control arm bushing was replaced.

- The car runs very strong and is in very good condition inside and out. It has A/C, ABS, power steering, power windows, and a driver's side airbag.

- There are a few minor issues. First, the drivers door lock is broken so you have to unlock it from the passenger side. The radio doesn't work (it may just be the fuse on the back of the unit). And the front suspension is a little rough. I'm guessing it just needs a new strut on the drivers side but I've been driving around on it for the last few months and it's been fine.

So in summary, it's a sexy Swedish steel beast! As long as you take good care of it, it will run trouble free. This is truly a case where they don't make them like they used to. The 240 isn't like the newer Ford - Volvos that look like every other car out there. If you're not familiar with Volvo 240s, they are probably the most durable and safe cars ever made. They were sold for almost 20 years, with 1993 being the last. In 1982 Volvo introduced the 740 with the intent of it replacing the 240 in 1984 but the demand for 240s was so strong they continued to sell the car for nine more years! In high school my sister and I used to take my parent's 1984 240 out around the neighborhood hitting trash cans and off roading through a landscape nursery in the hopes of killing it so we could get a newer car, but it would not die!

If you want a cheap beater that will run until the wheels fall off this is it! Not to mention, with its classic Swedish styling (or lack thereof) you won't look like all the other suckers in their boring Camrys and Accords. The great thing about driving a 240 is that people don't automatically think you're driving it because you're cheap or can't afford anything else because its become somewhat of a classic. The only thing that would make this car cooler is if it was a station wagon...

I didn't include this picture in the ad but its a good creed to live by...

No comments: